Nuttallburg, West Virginia, USA, owes its name to English entrepreneur John Nuttall, who saw a golden opportunity in the coal-rich New River gorge and began buying land and building infrastructure in 1870.
The area started to flourish after the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad line. In 1888, it was producing 1.5 million tons of coal.
In the 1920’s automobile industrialist Henry Ford leased Nuttallburg’s mines to provide coal mineral for his steel mills. Ford’s plan for “vertical integration” failed and mines passed through three owners after Ford and production ceased in 1958.
In 1998 Nuttallburg became a National Park Service property. Today it is one of the most intact and complete coal-related industrial sites in the United States.